Seiten

Sonntag, 12. Januar 2014

Some questions about the BIO-food Obsession

Back in Bremen! I came back yesterday, and that means that my holiday is over :(, I found my apartment cold and dirty :( :( (how?!?! I wasn't there!), and my fridge was totally empty :( :( :( ...
So before starting to cry because I was back to normal life and before starting to clean up, I decided to go to the supermarket. This is not an easy task!

As a student, I would have gone to REWE (German supermarket) with my shopping trolley, I would have taken everything I need for a week, choosing the cheapest brands and offers, focusing on the very basics for a sufficient nutrition, and I would have paid around 30 euros.

Now things are different. A 30-40-minute task has become a half-a-day adventure. And a 30 euro contribution has become a 60-70 euro... joke?!?!?! I go to REWE in case I need some soap powder, toilet paper, tooth paste or anything I need urgently. Then I go to the bio-greengrocer to buy bio-fruit and bio-vegetables. After that I go to the bio-butcher and buy some bio-meat. Then I have to catch the tram or the bus and I go to the nearest bio-supermarket. In Bremen I usually go to Alnatura, in the Viertel. There I buy bio-milk, bio-rice, bio-pasta, bio-cereals, bio-bread, bio-quinoa (I didn't even know what that was!) bio-nuts, bio-yoguhrts, bio-fish... I guess you've already understood what happened, right? I've joined this universal and trendy BIO-obsession movement!



The fears of non-natural components ingestion, like preservatives and color additives, and the aversion to animal maltreatment have made that lots of people change their  alimentation habits. We don't only look at how many calories and fats the food has, but also how it has been made. I've read a lot of articles and talked to lots of people but I still have many questions about this topic (is there any doctor/nutritionist in the room?). I buy this kind of food because I find it often tastier and I'm concerned about my health, but does it really make a difference? I've been eating "normal" food during 25 years, getting perfect blood analyses results. Have the processes changed? Can this non-BIO food be harmful in a long-term? Can I develop some kind of allergy or intolerance if I don't eat some component during months/years and then eat it again (at a restaurant or at a non-BIO friend's place, for example). I'm not planning to get pregnant at the moment but, in case I get pregnant and I eat BIO during the 9 months, will my child be intolerant to non-BIO food or to preservatives and color additives?

Feel free to comment this post and share your knowledge or questions with us!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen